Monday 22 August 2016

Part 1: How to Practice despite the struggles and keep Nichiren Daishonin's spirit? (personal experience)

Whether you have read your whole gosho multiple times or done with millions of daimoku; or you are just a newbie to this word of Buddhist philosophy. Let me bring these phrases of Nichiren Daishonin once again in the light and let's embrace it and feel it flowing in our veins so that we can embrace our tremendous good fortune:

"This I will state. Let the gods forsake me. Let all persecutions assail me. Still I will give my life for the sake of the Law. . . . Here I will make a great vow. Though I might be offered the rulership of Japan if I would only abandon the Lotus Sutra, accept the teachings of the Meditation Sutra, and look forward to rebirth in the Pure Land, though I might be told that my father and mother will have their heads cut off if I do not recite the Nembutsu —whatever obstacles I might encounter, so long as persons of wisdom do not prove my teachings to be false, I will never yield! All other troubles are no more to me than dust before the wind. I will be the pillar of Japan. I will be the eyes of Japan. I will be the great ship of Japan. This is my vow, and I will never forsake it! (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, vol. 1, pp. 280–81)"

While we give reasons like my parents are not allowing me to practice or I have got so much work to do and so on that we can’t even spare one hour twice a month for the meetings while Nichiren Daishonin had a spirit to not only practice but kept going on steadfast in faith despite the life threatening remarks directed to him and his parents as well. He didn’t give in to the circumstances not because he didn’t love his parents or his own life rather he believed in the power of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. I know it can be hard to practice when we are so deluded in family issues or long job hours but this is when we need to keep our faith steadfast, this is what means when sensei says Practice with spirit of Nichiren Daishonin or Toda sensei. Presently, i am living in a place where i have only 2 WDs in 40 km of area whereas only nearest meeting is 70 km. Despite, all the challenges my prayer got answered and i went 30km to do my first meeting as a home visit in Germany. I met someone who had a similar experience that i am chanting to have in coming months. She shared her experience and i had tears in my eyes in fact she called herself as my mother. I also cried when i could chant in front of gohonzon for first time in Germany. In fact i will go again to see her another weekend before i leave and we are targeting for Marathon Daimoku. Another prayer got answered when i figured out that today i will go for that 70 km distance to attend my first discussion meeting here. I know it will be in German and i will have no clue but Daimoku is a universal language and heart is what matters. 

Another important  said:

"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbor doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood. Do not have doubts simply because heaven does not lend you protection. Do not be discouraged because you do not enjoy an easy and secure existence in this life. This is what I have taught my disciples morning and evening, and yet they begin to harbor doubts and abandon their faith. Foolish men are likely to forget the promises they have made when the crucial moment comes. (WND-1, 283)"


I have spent my only 2 weeks break in last whole year in hospital and with doctors trying to keep my father alive and my family strong while i went to gohonzon to keep myself strong. While i spent last 2 weeks trying to support them emotionally and especially through my Daimoku when doctors gave up on my father. Amidst of all, i got to know my close aunt is hospitalised as well and her husband is going through another challenge. I knew nothing has happened by chance rather these all scenarios are my answered prayers. My father has a bigger mission as he brought my family closer and my aunt's health helped me with expanding my compassion for my cousins despite a very bumpy road of relationships in past few years. This is what i call, having a high life condition where i had wisdom to put aside my personal differences and chant for them like i have chanted for my own family and friends. This is the Buddha's spirit where we only wish for everyone's happiness; this is kosen rufu. 

Not only, i have found my peace and surely i have full faith that no matter what may come, it will eventually be for my family, friends and my own happiness even though it might not seem like that for now. 

Happy Chanting

No comments:

Post a Comment